Global Commons Trust proposal project - resources and notes

Main website: Current projects overview page

Recording of a conversation about GCT I had with Charlie Mitchell and Sarah Dixon, in 5 parts (total time just over 1 hour): GCT intro and Q&A in Stroud

Link to the request for funding document Anna-Marie and I are working on (work in progress still as at 12th November 2019): GCT Proposal - Request for funding

2019 meetings (unlisted links)

22 July 2019
2 August 2019
19 August 2019
31 October 2019
14 November 2019
5 December 2019

And below, a couple of visuals. The first is intended as an overview of the Global Commons Trust concept, and the second lists out some anticipated benefits of the GCT model, if it was enacted as currently envisaged.

The following notes are taken from a brief response to someone who reached out to me on Facebook, proposing that we need to shift, on an agreed date in the future, away from our current monetary and trade systems to a new decentralised digital global currency. We seem to be largely in agreement on the shape of the problem, at least, and quite possibly the broader vision of the direction we need to take as well. I hope to discuss further when time avails!

Anyway, here is the excerpt from my response on Facebook (mostly so I don’t lose it)!

I’m in agreement that we are in desperate need of global collaboration, and that Bucky Fuller was on the mark when he said that the way to change is to create a new model that makes the old model obsolete. :slight_smile:

There seem to be some differences in how we think we might get from where we are now to a point where we’re living within ecological boundaries, as well as a few similarities. I guess the main difference could be summed up as follows: It is extraordinarily hard to get people to agree on something that they will regard as a political position … we could easily spend 500 years trying to get everyone to agree on shutting down financial and trade systems.

So my thinking is - let’s not make agreement a prerequisite of making the changes we need to make. Let’s design and set up a dynamic incentives ‘machine’ that automatically works with accurate information (feedback) and our human psychology to align everyone’s individual best choices with the best choices for our communities and planet as well. Let’s use the market to work for us, not against us, by using the levers Donella Meadows showed us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_leverage_points

Eventually we would end up shifting from our current extractive financial (resource distribution) system to a stewardship system. The difference with adding a supplementary control system (i.e. the GCT) and using it to automatically and dynamically adjust the levers of our current economic system/s, rather than trying to do a hard single-date switch (‘big bang’) from one system to another, is that with the GCT, most people would not even realise that the paradigm was shifting underneath them (from extraction to stewardship) because they would be ‘editing’ their own internal stories about how the world works and reintegrating them within the greater narrative contexts of their own lives and cultures.

2 Likes

Meeting on Zoom for Kylie and Anna-Marie

Topic: Project Funding Brief for Global Commons Trust Proposal
Time: Jul 19, 2019 09:00 PM Brisbane

1 Like

Here’s a 5 part (about 1 hour in total) recording of a conversation I had with Charlie Mitchell and Sarah Dixon in Stroud a few days ago: GCT chat

We’ve been recording these discussions over the past few months, and I’ll eventually post the videos here.

In the meantime, here is a link to the request for funding document Anna-Marie and I are working on (work in progress still as at 12th November 2019): GCT Proposal - Request for funding

1 Like

2019 meetings (unlisted links)

22 July 2019
2 August 2019
19 August 2019
31 October 2019
14 November 2019
5 December 2019

1 Like