Draft 8 page brochure topics and key points

@Anna-M - further to our last call on Thursday, here are some initial thoughts about content topics and key points for the 8 page ‘brochure’ / request for funding document. I’d love your feedback!

I’m having fun with the graphics too … will share once I have a few sketches to show for my battles with Illustrator. :slight_smile:

1. Vision (as story in 2040?)

• Regenerating planet
  • Meeting needs of all
  • More peace, less war
  • Improving prosperity and quality of life
  • Empowering everyone with better choices
  • More fairness and equality
  • Evolving into unknown future

2. Background of wicked problems

• Ecosystem degradation
  • Increasing inequality
  • Failing institutions
  • Anger and polarisation
  • Loss of trust
  • Polluted information systems
  • Diminishing resources
  • Complexity of systems
  • Inability of current governance to solve global issues (Meadows)
  • Bad measures (e.g. GDP)

3. Goals

• meet needs of all within the means of the planet (Raworth)
  • align individual choices with wellbeing of whole
  • fairly share common gifts
  • value quality, intangibles
  • reduce waste & externalities
  • evolutionary governance (Ostrom)
  • smooth transition away from non-renewables and dysfunctional systems

4. Design Principles (maybe on 3)

• minimal interference with current systems
  • subsidiarity, local choice
  • transparency, good info
  • opt-in, agreements
  • reality, natural laws 1st
  • claims set scope
  • sortition for ceded power
  • smoothest possible transition for all
  • cultivate cooperative relationships

5. Description of model (maybe on 4)

• new global governance body, a Trust - like a bank for commons stewardship agreements
  • every human can opt-in as an individual beneficiary of the Trust
  • the Trust facilitates sharing of commons, including negotiation of agreements with commons users and distributing dividends to beneficiaries
  • holds and publishes information on agreements, provides dashboards
  • scope of a claim determines its boundaries, plus opt-in

6. How it works (maybe start on 5, through to 7)

• distribution process & explanation of balancing feedback
  • what happens to prices (seesaw components) - “what about the value of these intangible things?"
  • sortition process
  • transition pricing, price demand elasticity
  • signing up to GCT and commons claims, boundaries/scope
  • commons contracts and ‘enforcement’ with states’ help
  • what’s private (personal info), what’s transparent (agreements, algorithms, prices & dividends, sensor data shared with GCT)
  • example: Oil (global claim)
  • example: island / tourism permits
  • personal example - dividend payments list & transport options
  • example dashboard

8. More info

• website on Praxorium
  • contact details:
    • Kylie - analysis & design
    • Anna-M - communication (&?)

What we need now

• AUD1M for 9 month project to research & develop multimedia funding proposal & implementation strategy

@kylie - my brain is struggling to engage with such specifics at the moment. Sorry, I’m just feeling so tired. I keep each point over and over again and can’t quite engage.

Overall, this looks great. I like how there’s a story that we’re telling. I’m wondering, though, if we need to bring the GCT model in sooner? It’s really tricky to know how the person reading it will respond, if they don’t know anything about it at all and are reading this for the first time as a proposal for funding, but I’m thinking that we might need to explain the concept sooner, so they know what it’s all about, and then bring in the design principles after (for example). So, my gut response is maybe have design principles after the GCT model and how it works. With our goals then at the end, a kind of ‘this model’ will hopefully lead to ‘this’.

But then I’m thinking back to what Simon said when he read it, which is that he felt our ‘why’ should be at the start, which perhaps we have in the vision (is that our why though? or are the goals our why?).

Couple of questions:

What do you mean by 'story in 2040)? Do you mean we pick a future time and tell a story of how it could be?

What does AUD1M mean?

Lastly, I’m very happy if you would like to specify your role in this project, but for me, it’s really important to not have a titled role. I don’t want to be pigeonholed at any point in this project as ‘that’s what Anna-Marie does, and only what she does’. I don’t want to be that way in any of the work I do anymore. I would like to be part of things that give me the space to take on tasks as appropriate, task by task, and to be included in potentially being part of tasks that I don’t have any past experience in but may have unused skills in. How do you feel about that?

If you feel that’s the kind of environment you too want to create here, two suggestions come to mind. On the proposal we have you as the main point of contact and the recognised creator of the GCT (I know that you say it landed with you, but perhaps there’s an opportunity for you to step into the fact that you have put in an immense amount of hard work so far and the idea did land with you, plus you do have an immense amount of information that supports this in your brain and have done extensive research to back it up. So, it could say something like 'Point of contact: Kylie (not putting your surname here in case you would choose not to on Praxorium!).

Or, we put something like: for all enquiries, contact the GCT team, and then put both our contact information).

Looking forward to seeing the graphics soon! I am going to start playing around with InDesign and will return to the specific sections of each page above when my brain starts behaving and engaging properly :laughing:

PS from the :earth_asia:, a big thank you!

Wow - quick response :smiley: Thank you!

Oh, no need to worry about specifics at the moment … the high-level feedback you’ve given is perfectly scaled for now! I’m mostly trying to get a sense of the limits of what can fit in an 8 page brochure thingy, and prioritising what’s important enough to make the cut. :wink:

Hmm … you make a good point. I’d been thinking of displaying both goals and design principles in a visual/graphic format, maybe both on one page opposite the background/problems page, so maybe connections could be drawn between problems and the ‘intent’ of the model … but yeah … maybe the description of the model should come first…

Or … maybe we could explain the goals and design principles in connection with the description (e.g. using another call-out / sidebar approach, like we were talking about for the glossary of terms)?

Definitely worthy of further thought, anyway.

I think the ‘why’ is kind of tied up in the vision and problems and goals all together, but especially the problems and goals. Originally I was thinking of starting with the problems … but honestly, I’m so tired of the-world-is-going-to-end as a starting point … and figured it might be nice to have a little fun / optimism first. Still open to discussion on this though, as for everything. :slight_smile:

‘Story in 2040’ … yes, exactly. Just a small snippet of fiction from the perspective of someone living in 2040 (or another appropriate time), which illustrates how things might look after the GCT had been implemented, evolving and growing for about 15 years.

AUD1M is $1 million Australian dollars. The amount could be altered to the appropriate currency for the target audience.

I’m absolutely fine with it, and feel the same way myself. :slight_smile: Actually I was attempting to steer away from roles in my own way by using task descriptions rather than role descriptions (e.g. analysis rather than analyst) … but it may be better to avoid even that.

I like the ‘contact the GCT team’ option. :slight_smile: I don’t mind having my full name mentioned anywhere, but would still prefer to maintain a low profile.

:purple_heart:

1 Like

That’s really great to know.

OK, yes, I can see how you got there and it makes sense. And you know, in the past, I’d have been extremely excited and grateful to be given any kind of role recognition, especially publicly! It would have helped me feel valued and boosted my self-confidence ‘being’ in the world. I’ve noticed a real shift in myself these last few months, and where I’ve got to in my current thinking is that assigning tasks internally in a project or organisation at the time they come up is a workable way for people to not be pigeonholed into, for example, ‘Jill is our events manager and Jack is our CEO’; but my gut says that publicly saying that ‘Jill did this’ and ‘Jack did that’ on a particular project would likely be read as Jill only did this and Jack only did that. My hope is that we are moving into a paradigm where we are all offering our whole self to the work that we’re involved in that it can’t be easily defined by task definitions, but of course, that’s not taking away the (perhaps, perhaps not) necessity to delineate specific tasks that need to be focused on by one or a number of people. At least, that’s what I feel deeply right now.

OK, so now my brain is finally engaging again :boom:

Yes! God yes! I am so sick of reading books, articles, and essays that all start with a summary of how humankind is at a pivotal point by listing all the totally crap things going on (which are totally crap, no argument there). I love the idea of starting with a story of how we might be, how things might look, and then linking that in to the GCT model. A ‘here’s the why of this’ (with the why being all the good things that it could potentially bring) and then ‘here’s the thing that could help bring them forth’.

I’m wondering if the reader’s journey could look something like this:

1. Vision (as story in 2040)

• Regenerating planet (stewardship not ownership)
  • Meeting needs of all
  • More peace, less war
  • Improving prosperity and quality of life
  • Empowering everyone with better choices (perhaps add in through a process of real-time information and an equivalent to UBI, plus stronger community through commons/unity?)
  • More fairness and equality
  • Evolving into unknown future

2. Goals

• meet needs of all within the means of the planet (Raworth)
  • align individual choices with wellbeing of whole
  • fairly share common gifts
  • value quality, intangibles
  • reduce waste & externalities
  • evolutionary governance (Ostrom)
  • smooth transition away from non-renewables and dysfunctional systems (towards renewables and functional)

3. Description of model

• new global governance body, a Trust - like a bank for commons stewardship agreements
  • every human can opt-in as an individual beneficiary of the Trust
  • the Trust facilitates sharing of commons, including negotiation of agreements with commons users and distributing dividends to beneficiaries
  • holds and publishes information on agreements, provides dashboards
  • scope of a claim determines its boundaries, plus opt-in

4/5/6. How it works

• distribution process & explanation of balancing feedback
  • what happens to prices (seesaw components) - “what about the value of these intangible things?"
  • sortition process
  • transition pricing, price demand elasticity
  • signing up to GCT and commons claims, boundaries/scope
  • commons contracts and ‘enforcement’ with states’ help
  • what’s private (personal info), what’s transparent (agreements, algorithms, prices & dividends, sensor data shared with GCT)
  • example: Oil (global claim)
  • example: island / tourism permits
  • personal example - dividend payments list & transport options
  • example dashboard

7. Design Principles

• minimal interference with current systems
  • subsidiarity, local choice
  • transparency, good info
  • opt-in, agreements
  • reality, natural laws 1st
  • claims set scope
  • sortition for ceded power
  • smoothest possible transition for all
  • cultivate cooperative relationships

8. What we need now & more info

• AUD1M for 9 month project to research & develop multimedia funding proposal & implementation strategy
  • More specifics about what the money would (hopefully) achieve (with the bigger picture being that the proposal stage is intended to lead to the implementation stage.
  • website on Praxorium (and a summary of the further information to be found there)
  • contact details for the team
  • and perhaps a sentence here honouring the work done by others (as you have put in the Google doc).

I’ve completely removed the backgrounds of wicked problems section. Having come to it again, I’m wondering if we need any of that since I think most of us know (on a cellular level!) the current problems we’re experiencing (though perhaps we could have a section for this on the website). The only one I think we would potentially miss out on addressing at this point is about the bad measures and the current inability of our current governance (local or global) to respond adequately. Perhaps we could bring these in at the time that we discuss addressing them?

What do you think? I know that in many ways it makes sense to have the problems listed but reading them through it seems like it might be a waste of our limited space here, especially since (I think) the diagrams are going to need space.

My gut feeling is that we need to explain the goals and design principles in more depth than the sidebar would allow. I think we might need to keep the sidebar for shorter descriptions (making it perfect for glossary terms and succinct clarifications). This will also keep it readable and stop it looking too cluttered. But we can definitely have a play once we’ve got a basic design in place :+1:

1 Like

I relate to all of this as well. And further … sometimes I worry that avoiding words and concepts that “would likely be read” in a different way than intended could easily have the unintended consequence of painting ourselves into a corner where we can’t communicate with the rest of the world at all. It seems I confront this terminology difficulty everywhere I turn! :roll_eyes:

Anyway, I don’t think we need to worry about it for this document because there are only two of us, which makes titles and classifications superfluous. A funded proposal development project is likely to require some form of public task/responsibility directory though, no matter what the real internal workings of the project team are … plus I anticipate that most consultants would expect to be credited the “normal way”.

Your thoughts?

Let’s start with this order you’ve suggested and see how it looks?

My only reservation is a suspicion that the design principles might be critical to describing the model and explaining how it works … but there’s no real need to decide that yet, either way. I’ll sketch the diagram and then we can see whether it’s needed at all, and if so, where it best fits with everything else.

Re the wicked problems … I agree that we may not need a special section for these. :slight_smile: I see two key issues which are frequently missed in discussions of global challenges, and therefore probably need highlighting:

1. Corrupted and inadequate systems for choice-making (information/psychology/economics) – e.g. increasing inequality, loss of trust, polluted and opaque information systems, anger and polarisation, complexity, bad measures of wellbeing/prosperity/progress
  2. Inability of current governance to solve global issues (Meadows)

So … basically what you said, just changing emphasis from measures to choice-making systems more broadly. Does that make sense?

Sounds like a plan.

@kylie How are you getting on with the graphics? I’ve started playing around with a design idea which I’m really excited by, but let’s see where it goes. My plan is to share 2 or 3 quite different design ideas and see which one resonates best with you.

1 Like

Oof, still going slowly after a few days doing other things, but here’s jpgs of what I have so far:

GCT_Price_Reduce_Quantity GCT_Demand_Supply_Standard

(Wow, the colours in the preview here look nothing like what they do in Illustrator! Oh well …)

Looking forward to seeing your design idea/s!

No, that’s really helpful. That gives me a couple of things to add to the brochure to see size/what it might all end up looking like :slightly_smiling_face: :+1: A good starting point.

Here’s another:

GCT_Hidden_Inputs2jpg

The colours these things end up here are making me feel slightly nauseous! :laughing:

PNG looks a bit less vomitous.

GCT_Price_Reduce_Quantity%404x

GCT_Demand_Supply_Standard%404x

No worries, W was saying that we can play around with the look of them anyway, colour wise.

1 Like

Another one:

1 Like

Ok, here goes … a first swing at a first draft for the ‘vision story’. Honest feedback please (including if it sucks nasty lemons :wink: )

A decade ago, if someone had told me that my odd little Ozlem would make me the proudest father in Gabon — no, the world! — I would have thought them crazy.

I remember her as a teenager, loping alone around Libreville, staring into space whenever she wasn’t playing weird-looking games on her device, always buying what she called ‘scope time’ at the lab. One day I asked her why she didn’t just enrol at the school to earn a degree. The costs were comparable. And, would you believe, she actually rolled her eyes at me! “Whatever for?” she said. “Enrolling won’t help me understand cell membranes any better. Most of the stuff they teach is useless. I learn more online. You said my time is mine, so let me spend it my way.” That was true, so I shrugged and left her to it. Our mix of commons claim dividends (CCDs) were almost covering the family’s basic needs by then, anyway, so I wasn’t overly worried about Ozlem’s future.

In 2028, about two years before that conversation, I’d left my job at the veneer factory because my brother Sam had a bad accident and needed my help. Discussing our options, we realised that the CCDs my wife Yana had insisted we sign up to receive in 2025 from the Global Commons Trust (GCT) had increased enough that our families could scrape by if we sold the car, budgeted carefully and joined the community permaculture farm co-op. It’s funny, really, that until Sam’s injury, I hadn’t thought of my time as something which belonged to me. I also hadn’t realised just how much power CCDs can give us over our own lives. Truth is, when Yana first demanded we join the GCT to collect global CCDs, I was deeply skeptical and only did it to keep her happy.

Yana has been my heart for 29 years now. She’s also the quietly driving heart of our entire community. For her, the GCT soon became like a Swiss Army knife, providing the governance frameworks and systems support her various community groups needed to negotiate claims on the commons they were already looking after, like the waterfront, the library, the community centre. Yana’s groups have often managed and priced these local claims so that they also pay dividends (CCDs) to the commoners, further supplementing the income from the global CCDs we’d all automatically qualified for on signing up for the GCT.

Our life is not all ‘free money’ and fun and games, of course. Sometimes it seems as if all we do is adapt to one climate disaster after another, even if we are slowly regenerating our local ecosystems and are nearly free of fossil fuels.

But I’ve digressed. I was boasting about Ozlem, wasn’t I? And with good reason! She tells me that her team has discovered something much like the GCT — a means of helping an organism to open up, clarify and purify the communication channels between cells, so they know they’re not alone and can work together in harmony rather than replicating like mad and fighting each other for resources. Left to her own devices, following her own star, and perhaps most importantly, freed from having to work just to survive, my clever daughter has finally relegated cancer to the history books.

I think it’s beautiful Kylie. Really moving.

I got a little confused at the beginning with the names ‘Ozlem’, ‘Libreville’, what ‘scope time’ was, so let’s look at that. I think maybe, since the main goal of having a vision (perhaps not the only one) in the proposal is to intimately and immediately connect with potential funders on a deeply emotional and heart-felt level, it might be worth considering simplifying these. Making them more recognisable. What do you think?

Hmm … I’m in 2 minds about it. Here’s my thinking:

On the one hand/mind, I kind of liked the idea of a cancer cure coming from a possibly autistic young woman in Africa who otherwise would be unlikely to stand a chance of having a decent life … and Gabon (capital Libreville) is one of the countries that was oil-rich and yet with massive socioeconomic inequality, so could do well fairly quickly from dividends. As for the name ‘Ozlem’, I really just chose it at random from the middle (#74) of a list of popular female names in Gabon, looking for something a bit different so it stands out, but not too complex to pronounce. Do you see another (preferably non-anglo) name on the list which appeals more, if we were to stick with Gabon as the setting for the story?

Or … do you think the whole thing should be anglicized? The ‘other mind’ I was referring to is, as you say, to provide something relatable for those who might give us funding … although since the truth is that CCDs won’t make any difference to people in that income bracket, what we’d really be aiming for is their desire to help those it would make a difference to … and for that I’m not sure whether an African country would be a help or a hindrance.

‘Scope time’ could be adjusted easily enough to make it clearer that it’s about ‘time with a microscope’. I was mostly amusing myself with that one … ‘scope’ means so many different things and I find puns entertaining. :wink: That said, you’re quite right that the main purpose is to connect emotionally (rather than entertain myself) … so happy to change it if you think it makes sense to do so.

Ah, I see! Makes total sense, knowing where you were coming from. Perhaps there’s a way we could bring that out back-story into this story more? I’m ashamed to admit it but reading the first few sentences, I thought you’d made up some futuristic-sounding people and place names.I think maybe all we’d need is a slight tweak, to locate the reader in this being a town in a country in Africa. Not sure how off the top of my head, but perhaps there’s a way to logically weave in that Libreville is the capital of Gabon, Africa? And that ‘odd little Ozlem’ is a loving father’s pet name for a child they don’t quite understand because they may be on the Autistic spectrum. I think we could do with seeing how a few other people respond to this story, not just me; they might ‘get’ all of that immediately (as people that have a greater geographical awareness than me).

I like them not being Anglo. I do wonder if our vision-story needs be more universal - almost place free. But then this would take the heart out of this story, which I really do love. And, having a story-vision that is firmly placed in a family, in a village/town, is exactly the way to go…

Actually, I think you’re onto something with ‘place free’. What do you think of this … (round 2!):

A decade ago, if someone had told me that my odd little Kady would make me the proudest father in the world I would have thought them crazy.

I remember her as a teenager, loping alone around the city, staring into space whenever she wasn’t playing weird-looking games on her device or buying time to use on the microscopes and machines at the local university’s lab. One day I asked her why she didn’t just enrol to earn a degree. The costs were comparable. And, would you believe, she actually rolled her eyes at me! “Whatever for?” she said. “Enrolling won’t help me understand cell membranes any better. Most of the stuff they teach is useless. I learn more online. You said my time is mine, so let me spend it my way.” That was true, so I shrugged and left her to it. Our mix of commons claim dividends (CCDs) were almost covering the family’s basic needs by then, anyway, so I wasn’t overly worried about Kady’s future.

In 2028, about two years before that conversation, I’d left my job at the veneer factory because my brother Sam had a bad accident and needed my help. Discussing our options, we realised that the CCDs my wife Yana had insisted we sign up to receive in 2025 from the Global Commons Trust (GCT) had increased enough that our families could scrape by if we sold the car, budgeted carefully and joined the community permaculture farm co-op. It’s funny, really, that until Sam’s injury, I hadn’t thought of my time as something which belonged to me. I also hadn’t realised just how much power CCDs can give us over our own lives. Truth is, when Yana first demanded we join the GCT to collect global CCDs, I was deeply skeptical and only did it to keep her happy.

Yana has been my heart for 29 years now. She’s also the quietly driving heart of our entire community. For her, the GCT soon became like a Swiss Army knife, providing the governance frameworks and systems support her various community groups needed to negotiate claims on the commons they were already looking after, like the waterfront, the library, the community centre. Yana’s groups have often managed and priced these local claims so that they also pay dividends (CCDs) to the commoners, further supplementing the income from the global CCDs we’d all automatically qualified for on signing up for the GCT.

Our life is not all ‘free money’ and fun and games, of course. Sometimes it seems as if all we do is adapt to one climate disaster after another, even if we are slowly regenerating our local ecosystems and are nearly free of fossil fuels.

But I’ve digressed. I was boasting about Kady, wasn’t I? And with good reason! Left to her own devices, following her own star, and perhaps most importantly, freed from having to work just to survive, my clever daughter has finally relegated cancer to the history books. She tells me that her team discovered something much like the GCT — a means of helping an organism to open up, clarify and purify the communication channels between cells, so they know they’re not alone and can work together in harmony rather than replicating like mad and fighting each other for resources.

And it makes me wonder … what else might be achieved through better information and communication?

I like the origins of Kady being first lady, that’s sweet. Though makes me think of that character from that American high school film, can’t think of the name! Let’s try this out, see how it’s read by others :slightly_smiling_face:

I see you’ve taken out the line: ‘Left to her own devices, following her own star, and perhaps most importantly, freed from having to work just to survive, my clever daughter has finally relegated cancer to the history books.’ ?

Perfect :+1:

Awesome. Got anyone to show it to? :smile:

I didn’t take the line out, just reordered the paragraph …

You did! Apologies, didn’t see that.

Well, I was under the impression that we’ll be sharing the brochure with a couple of people for feedback before we approach potential funders. I may have imagined that!