Cultivating the conditions for collective wisdom to emerge and complex systems to change

I’ve had this wonderful article open on a tab for ages and only just got around to reading it now because I need to restart my poor beleaguered computer. I don’t think it’s been skulking around in my tabs since 2015, when it was written … :rofl:

Just kidding. I have to restart the computer at least once every few months. It just took me a while to find the article I guess.

Thankfully Praxorium is not intended to be a news site, but rather a place for working on complex problems. And since I doubt complex problems will ever go out of date, this article remains perfectly timely. :wink:

Anyway, I was particularly drawn to the following paragraph, which provides probably the best summary of Praxorium’s reason for existence that I’ve encountered to date. (I do recommend reading the whole essay though. It’s really good.)

System leaders like Baldwin and Winslow understand that collective wisdom cannot be manufactured or built into a plan created in advance. And it is not likely to come from leaders who seek to “drive” their predetermined change agenda. Instead, system leaders work to create the space where people living with the problem can come together to tell the truth, think more deeply about what is really happening, explore options beyond popular thinking, and search for higher leverage changes through progressive cycles of action and reflection and learning over time. Knowing that there are no easy answers to truly complex problems, system leaders cultivate the conditions wherein collective wisdom emerges over time through a ripening process that gradually brings about new ways of thinking, acting, and being.

https://ssir.org/articles/entry/the_dawn_of_system_leadership